- Pen Duick VI FR (14) first to cross the equator, first in line honours, first in IRC!
- Maiden UK (03) and Translated 9 IT (09) so close they’re dating!
- Rescued mariner grabbed by mystery boat, disappearing before Dakar Navyrendezvous.
- 32-hour time compensation for Outlaw AU (08) after rescuing stranded mariner.
- PLB distress alert on Neptune FR (56) a false alarm. All well, but now parked.
- Spirit of Helsinki FI (71) L’Esprit d’équipe FR (85) and White Shadow ESP (17) make smart tactical moves. Rest of the fleet navigating slowly through the doldrums.
Skipper Marie Tabarly and her determined Pen Duick VI crew were first to cross the doldrums, reach the South Easterly Trades and yesterday morning first to cross the equator. She is now 337 nm ahead of their closest rivals Spirit of Helsinki. Cementing their dominance, Pen Duick VI is first overall and first in IRC handicap for the entire fleet, she has picked up the SE trades and is barreling ahead.
Crossing the equator traditionally involves a visit from the Roman God of the sea ‘Neptune’ and ‘a messy’ ceremony where the first-timers, nicknamed Pollywogs, graduate to become Shellbacks. Skipper Marie confirmed they had a ‘fun’ ceremony, but it’s not the time to lose focus.