World Sailing is launching a ground-breaking six-month series of webinars designed to empower Member National Authorities, classes, event organisers, sailing clubs and anyone involved in the sport to improve their sustainability.
The ‘Sustainability Sessions’ will be free, open to anyone, expert-led and cover topics including:
Mega-fauna sightings and strikes, where boats encounter large marine fish or animals.
- Biosecurity, ensuring boats and other equipment is cleaned appropriately to prevent environmental damage.
- Life-cycle assessments, enabling better choices of sailing equipment.
- Inclusion initiatives, helping our sport become more diverse.
The series starts on 18 October with a Sustainability Session on best practices for regattas and classes, entitled Clean Regattas and Classes and led by Sailors for the Sea, an ocean conservation organisation that engages, educates and activates the sailing and boating community toward restoring ocean health.
Future Sustainability Sessions will feature Marine Shift 360, designers of an equipment life cycle assessment tool designed specifically for the marine industry, 11th Hour Racing Team and the Magenta Project.
Alexandra Rickham, World Sailing Head of Sustainability said, “As sailors we are acutely aware of changes to the environment and, as sailors, we take seriously our responsibility to act in the interests of the communities with whom we share the waters of the world.
“Our sport can be proud of the progress we have made since World Sailing launched Sustainability Agenda 2030, our strategy for sailing’s contribution to global sustainability, in 2018.
The full list of the first season of the Sustainability Sessions:
- 18 October – Clean Regattas and Classes with Sailors for the Sea
- 1 November – Getting Starts with Sustainability with The Toolbox
- 8 November – Life Cycle Assessments with Marine Shift 360
- 29 November – Sustainable Sailing Club expert lead to be announced
- 6 December – Inclusive and Accessible Sailing with Jens Kroker
- 10 January – Sustainable Events, expert lead to be announced
- 24 January – Megafauna strikes with 11th Hour Racing Team
- 7 February – Fighting Plastic Pollution with Unplastify
- 21 February – Biosecurity with the International Union for Conservation of Nature
- 6 March – Female Empowerment with The Magenta Project
- 20 March – Safeguarding with World Sailing safeguarding lead