FRANCK CAMMAS CHOSEN SAILOR OF THE DECADE
As every year, the French Sailing Federation awards its champions. But in this special year 2020, he has known how to adapt to propose a different choice than usual. This Thursday, December 17, a jury of experts met virtually to designate the French sailor considered the best of his generation from 2010 to 2020. Franck Cammas was elected Sailor of the Decade and thus adds a prestigious reward to his incredible record. But in addition to the many victories of the sailor of origin Aix, expatriated in Brittany since the mid-nineties, it is his multidisciplinary career that goes from regatta at sea to Olympic sailing, without forgetting the America’s Cup, which the jury chaired by Michel Desjoyeaux wanted to greet with this title.
Honored with this distinction, Maxi patron Edmond de Rothschild shared with us his first impressions: “We do not play our sport for awards, but it is always a great pleasure when we are distinguished like this, especially this year when elections looked back. in the last decade. Since my beginnings in sailing, I have had the incredible opportunity to do very different disciplines: regattas on the high seas with crew and alone, in small and very large boats, Olympic sailing, Match-racing at a very high level, especially with America’s Cup. I am a bulimic from work and sailing and I love to constantly evolve and discover new media. In my journey for the last ten years there have been ups and downs, with great victories, and lows with failures and an accident in training in 2015 that could have had serious consequences. In these ten years I have a lot of good memories, but being at the helm of a French boat for the America’s Cup is rare and exceptional. It was quite frustrating because we didn’t have all the cards in hand to defend ourselves in the water but I remember it very well because it was a very powerful experience. With this distinction, I necessarily think of Groupama, which has supported me for a large part of my career, and of all the people on the team thanks to whom I have been able to experience all these great challenges.
Today my daily life is written with the Gitana team and the entire Edmond de Rothschild group. For two years, with Charles Caudrelier, we have been fully involved in this project. Gitana is a perfect synthesis of what I have learned over the last decade. Technology, innovation and the highest level. Theft is the great revolution of recent years. By joining Gitana’s team at the helm of the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, I joined the pioneering approach of this entire team to offshore flights. It is an incredible opportunity and I look forward to living so many beautiful challenges with the same passion for the next ten years. ”
This year, the Chairman of the Sailor of the Decade Jury was one Michel Desjoyeaux, an extraordinary sailor who no longer needs to be introduced: “I am delighted to have learned from him! Mich was not only very inspiring for me, but he was also very present when I started at Figaro. He allowed me to learn quickly and these years at the Port-la-Forêt training center represent for me the genesis of what competitive sailing is today with all the rigor and professionalism we know ”, concluded the newly elected sailor of the decade .
But Franck Cammas will not have time to rest on his laurels. With Charles Caudrelier and the crew of the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, the sailor is once again ready for another record attempt at the Jules Verne Trophy. In mid-November, the team with the five arrows had to give up and return after three days at sea due to damage to the rudder and port wing. After a few days of repairs at her home port in Lorient, the last Gypsy is once again at 100% of her potential. All the lights are green and the weather unit is once again looking for the ideal window to face the round-the-world record.
The great victories of Franck Cammas, from 2010 to 2020
– Julio Verne Trophy 2010, with Groupama 3, in 48 days 7 hours 45 minutes
– Route du Rhum 2010, with Groupama 3 in the Ultimate category
– Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 with Groupama 4
– Tour de France à la Voile 2013 with the M34 Groupama
– Sailor of the year 2012 and 2013
– World Champion Class C 2013 and 2015
– Rolex Fastnet Race 2019 and event record, with the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild
– Brest Atlantiques 2019, with Maxi Edmond de Rothschild
Without forget …
– Olympic preparation in Nacra 17 for the 2016 Olympic Games (not selected)
– Participation in the Copa América 2017, patron of the France team
Sailor of the Decade Jury
– Michel Desjoyeaux – Navigator, prechairman of the sailor of the decade jury
– Henry Bacchini – Vice President of the FFVoile
– Alain Pichavant – General Director of the Nautical Festival
– Lieutenant Commander Patrice L’Hour – Head of the Naval Academy maneuvers group
– Commander Henri Duval – Technical Director of Military Sports and President of the Fédération Internationale de Voile Sport Militaire
– Nine journalists
– The votes of the public that had two votes (more than 16,000 votes this year)