New York Yacht Club
After displaying remarkable consistency across a range of conditions over the first three days of the 2022 Resolute Cup, Corinthian Yacht Club of Marblehead, Mass., decided to dispense with the pleasantries. The team representing the storied northeast yacht club won both races today to emphatically claim the Resolute Cup and a berth in the 2023 Rolex New York Yacht Club Invitational Cup.
The unique format of the two-stage event—which features two different fleets of equalized boats—has traditionally favored sailors that have been here before. But skipper Wade Waddell, all of 25, and his team of Doug Sabin, Duncan Swain and Miranda Bakos—Resolute Cup rookies, all four—turned that paradigm on its head by finishing 14 of 16 races inside of the top five and winning the regatta by nine points.
San Diego Yacht Club, the defending champion from 2018, the last time this event was run, finished second and Storm Trysail Club, fourth in both 2016 and 2018, moved up one spot this year. Eastern Yacht Club added to its impressive track record in this event with a fourth while The San Francisco Yacht Club rounded out the top five. Southern Yacht Club, which won the Resolute Cup in 2016 and the Rolex New York Yacht Club Invitational Cup in 2021, finished first in the Silver Fleet standings.
A replay of a live broadcast of the final two days of racing is available via Youtube and Facebook. Live race replays from TracTrac are available for all 31 races held during the course of the regatta..
After a solid start in Gold Fleet on Day 3, Waddell preached his team’s commitment to consistency to the extent that they would eschew a chance to win a race if it came with a significant amount of risk. The plan remained the same for today.
The next edition of the Resolute Cup will take place in September 2024. The request for invitation process will be announced in 2023.
Gold Fleet (Club, Hometown, Skipper, Net Points)
1. Corinthian Yacht Club, Marblehead Mass., Wade Waddell, 14pts
2. San Diego (Calif.) Yacht Club, Tyler Sinks, 23pts
3. Storm Trysail Club, Larchmont, N.Y., Erik Storck, 30pts
4. Eastern Yacht Club, Marblehead, Mass., Clinton Hayes, 37pts
5. The San Francisco Yacht Club, Belvedere, Calif., Shawn Bennett, 39pts
6. Newport Harbor Yacht Club, Newport Beach, Calif., Brian Bissell, 41pts
7. Larchmont (N.Y.) Yacht Club, Cardwell Potts, 42pts
8. Lakewood Yacht Club, Seabrook, Texas, Danny Pletsch, 44pts
9. St. Francis Yacht Club, San Francisco, Calif., Peter Vessella, 48pts
10. Austin (Texas) Yacht Club, Chris Lewis, 48pts
11. Shelter Island Yacht Club, Shelter Island Heights, N.Y., Amanda Clark, 51pts
12. Seattle (Wash.) Yacht Club, Andrew Loe, 52pts
1. Southern Yacht Club, New Orleans, La., Ricky Welch, 16pts
2. New York (N.Y.) Yacht Club, John Bainton, 19pts
3. Carolina Yacht Club, Charleston, S.C., James Ewing, 19pts
4. American Yacht Club, Rye, N.Y., Meg Myles, 22pts
5. Noroton Yacht Club, Darien, Conn., James Crane, 26pts
6. Pensacola (Fla.) Yacht Club, Mike Levert, 27pts
7. Stamford (Conn.) Yacht Club, Wes Whitmyer Jr., 36pts
8. Fort Worth (Texas) Boat Club, Fred Meno, 39pts
10. Chicago (Ill.) Yacht Club, Bridget Groble, 40pts
10. Houston (Texas) Yacht Club, Robert Williams, 41pts
11. Muskegon (Mich.) Yacht Club, David Bowen, 46pts