AUGIE DIAZ & BARBIE BROTONS ARE WH&O CHAMPIONS!
Augie Diaz and Barbie Brotons (USA) were able to sail conservatively to ensure their win at the 2021 Snipe Western Hemisphere & Orient Championship. Going into the final day, they had a 10 point lead over Arthur Blodgett and Gracie Howie (USA) who did their best to close the point gap by winning the final race.
Diaz/Brotons were second row when the gun when off in the 6-8 knot easterly wind, but their speed and course management found them rounding in the top 5. Americans Blodgett/Howie and Taylor Scheuermann/Charlie Bess, were 1-2 at the weather mark and extended their lead through the 5 leg windward-leeward course to finish in that order. Ernesto Rodriguez/Kathleen Tocke (USA) turned on their speed and continued to push the leaders, passing Diaz/Brotons just at the finish line on a port/starboard cross.
Matias Seguel with wife Constanza representing Chile, sailed consistently enough to move onto the podium in third overall.
The division wins were: Diaz/Brotons as top Master team, Taylor Scheuermann/Charlie Bess as top female team and Miranda Paz with Joaquin Balarezo (Peru) as the top junior team.
Cottage Park Yacht Club put on a spectacular event with numerous volunteers and Jimmie Lowe from the Bahamas as the SCIRA Representative. Principle Race Officer Matt Hill had the patience and fortitude to wait until the conditions were right and set excellent courses for the competitors, with all 9 scheduled races completed.
1. Augie Diaz/Barbara Brotons (USA) 29
2. Arthur Blodgett/Gracie Howie (USA) 36
3. Matias Seguel/Constanza Seguel (CHI) 48
4. Ernesto Rodriguez/Kathleen Tocke (USA) 49
5. George Szabo/Dianna Waterbury (USA) 62
6. Alfonso Garcia Bringas/Andre Guaragna (MEX) 75
7. John MacRae/Linda Epstein (USA) 75
8. Taylor Scheuermann/Charlie Bess (USA) 76
9. Carol Cronin/Kim Couranz (USA) 79
10. Rodrigo Stephan de Almeida/Gustavo Baiano (BRA) 79